You can create your own graduation party supplies using free graduation cap templates, or you can create a three-dimensional graduation cap using a pattern. Create graduation centerpieces, hold or decorate high school graduation gifts, and create graduation keepsakes with the free templates.
Here is a handy guide that will help you download and print the template that you need by clicking on the image of the template you need.
Printable Black and Gold Graduation Cap Template
These black and gold mini graduation cap templates can be cut out and used for a variety of craft projects, or they can even be used as stencils, depending on the project.
Ways to Use Black and Gold Graduation Caps
- To decorate graduation cupcakes, print, cut, and glue individual caps to toothpicks for use as decorations on the cupcakes.
- It is a good idea to place a sheet of parchment paper over the printable, then use the cap templates as a stencil for making edible graduation caps by pipetting them through the parchment paper.
- Make graduation pictures look extra special by adding a tiny cutout hat on top of the photo near the graduate’s head when framing or scrapbooking the photo.
Printable Blank Graduation Cap Templates
A blank graduation cap template is a great choice if you want to incorporate your school’s colors into your graduation cap design. In this graduation cap template to print, you will find one large graduation cap as well as four medium-sized graduation caps.
Ways to Use Blank Graduation Caps
- Make sure that you print them on colored paper that matches the colors of your school.
- By cutting out all the templates, coloring them, and stringing them together with the large cap in the middle, you will be able to create a banner that shows your graduation cap pride.
- If you want to make your own free printable graduation announcements, simply add the graduation details to the top of the large cap template and add the graduation details in text.
- It is possible to cut out the templates and use them as stencils for designing your own graduation caps by using the templates.
- A cake shaped like a mortarboard can be made using a large cap as a template for a graduation cap cake.
Printable Tossed Graduation Cap Template
Tossing graduation caps into the air after the ceremony is a classic graduation tradition. Celebrate this fun side of graduating with a tossed graduation cap template. The template features a blank graduation cap at different phases as it is tossed into the air.
Tossed Graduation Cap Template Ideas
- Create a custom graduation cake topper by cutting out the templates as one arched piece and gluing each end to a toothpick. You can then set the mini banner on any cake.
- Cut out each cap separately then glue them around a plain picture frame to make it more fun.
- Alternate your school colors as you color in the blank caps.
Printable 3D Graduation Cap Pattern
If you want to make a standing graduation cap, you’ll need a 3D graduation cap pattern. The pattern features a scalloped band piece and a flat top board piece that even has room to add a 3D tassel.This type of graduation hat looks more realistic and formal than one with a straight rectangular bottom band.
How to Use the 3D Graduation Cap Pattern
You’ll need scissors, tape, glue, a pencil, and a tassel to complete your 3D graduation cap. While you can make the cap out of standard copy paper, it will be more sturdy and visually appealing if you print on heavyweight paper or card stock or print the pattern on copy paper then use it as a stencil to trace the pattern onto poster board.
- Cut out the Bottom Band piece as a full rectangle.
- Cut out the scalloped parts from the Bottom Band.
- Put the ends of the Bottom Band together so the band becomes a circle. Secure with glue or tap on the inside of the band.
- Cut out the square Top Board.
- Use a hole punch to make a hole in the center of the Top Board.
- String a tassel through the hole and secure with tape, glue, or a large knot.
- Center the circular Bottom Band, flat side down, on the bottom side of the Top Board.
- Trace the inside edge of the Bottom Band onto the bottom side of the Top Board.
- Remove the Bottom Band and squeeze a thin strip of clear-dry glue around the outside edge of the traced circle.
- Place the Bottom Band, flat side down, on the strip of glue and leave until it dries.
- Flip the hat over so the scalloped side of the Bottom Band is on the table.
3D Graduation Cap Ideas
Three-dimensional graduation caps work great as decorations for graduation and graduation parties or as keepsakes.
- Write each guests name on top of the flat part of the 3D cap and use them as name cards for a formal graduation dinner.
- Tie your own graduation tassel through the hole for a cute tassel keepsake that can sit on your dresser or a shelf.
- Create a 3D graduation cake topper that can sit on top of a tiered cake.
- Make a fabric graduation cap by gluing fabric or felt to the pieces before you attach them together.
Creative Graduation Cap Ideas
Graduation crafts like DIY mortarboards are fun and inexpensive to make. You can use a variety of pre-made products to create cute graduation hats for creative use.
- Follow the tutorial for a folded paper cube then add a square, flat piece to the top for a simple paper graduation cap.
- Glue an upside-down plastic dessert plate to the bottom of a plastic punch cup to create a 3D grad hat.
- Break off two rectangles from a standard Hershey bar as one piece then secure to the bottom of an unwrapped mini peanut butter cup with melted chocolate for an edible graduation cap.
- Use a dessert or lunch napkin as a stencil for the square part of your graduation hat.
- Turn a cube gift box into a graduation hat gift box by adding a flat square panel on the top that is only secured to the box on one side so it can still open.
Cap Off Your Celebration With a Grad Cap
You can really use the graduation cap templates and patterns for anything from preschool graduation and kindergarten graduation to middle school graduation or even college graduation. Parents and teachers can make grad caps as decorations and teens can make them as gifts or keepsakes for friends.